Table of Contents
Over the last couple of years, more and more Indian tourists have started coming to North East India, an incredibly beautiful part of the country. North East India has something for everyone, be it the adventure-loving and thrill-seeker traveler, be it someone who loves the monsoons and the clouds or be it the someone who wants to take everything slow and just laze around in the hills. However, visiting the north-eastern states, at least a few of them must be approved by the authorities.
One such state is Arunachal Pradesh. You must obtain an Inner Line Permit (or ILP) if you are an Indian and a Protected Area Permit (PAP) or Restricted Area Permit (RAP) if you are a foreigner.
Arunachal Pradesh Inner Line Permit Guide – What is an Inner Line Permit or ILP?
As the Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh puts it, “The Inner Line Permits are required by Indians other than natives of Arunachal Pradesh for entering into any place in Arunachal Pradesh. The ILPs are issued by the Issuing Authorities of the Government of Arunachal Pradesh with offices at Delhi, Kolkata, Tezpur, Guwahati, Shillong, Dibrugarh, Lakhimpur, and Jorhat.”
Arunachal Pradesh ILP is also available online apart from the offices listed above. This post is about how to apply Arunachal Pradesh ILP Online? So let’s start with the documents required.
What are the documents required to apply Arunachal Pradesh ILP?
- Any govt. issued photo identity card (Voter Id card, Pan Card, Driving License, etc.)
- A passport photo with a white background.
- PAN Card is NOT accepted if you are applying offline. Document(s) on which your address is mentioned, are accepted.
What is the fee for Arunachal Pradesh ILP?
- The fee, if you apply online is Rs. 100/- plus transaction charges. In total, I paid Rs.123/-. The fee, if you apply is Rs.25/-
is what I have heard. Add to that, Rs.5/- for the application form.
How long does it take to get the Arunachal Pradesh ILP?
- If you apply online, it takes around a day or so. There are three phases that the application goes through once you apply. First, the details provided by you are verified until when it remains under processing. If all is well, the application is approved and you can then pay and get your ILP immediately.
- The offline ILP takes around four hours.
Additional Information about Arunachal Pradesh ILP
- If you are applying ILP for Arunachal Pradesh online,
you can apply only one district per ILPyou can now add multiple districts while applying and hence have to apply only one ILP even if you are crossing multiple districts. This doesn’t really make sense to me because that’s not the case if you are applying for the ILP offline.
- If you are traveling from one district to another inside Arunachal Pradesh and are planning to apply for the ILP online, you have to mention the same in the online form for the online ILP.
no other way but to get a separate ILP for each district. Trying your luck by applying for just one ILP might not be a good idea (in case you are thinking about it) because even though ILPs are not checked when you cross from one district to another, they are checked when you are exiting the state.
- You also need to give a local reference while applying ILP online. Again, I don’t remember this requirement being there in an offline way. For a tourist who is visiting the state for the first time, this might be a problem. Mine got rejected the first time when I did not give a local reference while applying.
- For local reference, while applying Arunachal Pradesh ILP, give the reference of someone back home.
- If applying offline, be sure to be at the office (Guwahati) before 2 PM.
- Online ILP for Arunachal Pradesh can be applied here.
Got any questions about ILP for Arunachal Pradesh? Feel free to leave your questions in the comments section below.
[Update: March 2020]
As of now, the issuing of all Arunachal Pradesh Inner Line Permit for tourists has been stopped until further notice. This is due to the COVID-2019 outbreak.
[Update: October 2020]
Govt. of Arunachal has resumed issuing ILPs to tourists.